College, work and preparing for adulthood

These pages will help you find advice and guidance on where you can work or study after the age of 16.

The Government says you need to be either in education, employment or training until you are 18.  There are a range of options and support available for young people with additional needs.  Each pathway has its own entry criteria and thresholds.

Why not have a look at our dedicated website Moving On for more information on the following:

  • Courses and destinations
  • Apprenticeships
  • Careers advice and guidance (for students Y8 onwards, and Y9 statutory reviews)
  • Trainee-ships and supported internships can be found by following the links
  • Help with independent travel and transport for those aged 16-25

The Local Authority has limited post-16 provision on the Islands.  The vast majority of young people continue their post-16 education at a college in Cornwall.  Details of which can be found on the Cornwall Local Offer site.

Other students may attend a State Boarding School from the age of 16.  Details of State Boarding schools can be found on the State Boarding School Association site.  Each school will have its own SEND policy.


You may be eligible for financial support from the Government while you are looking for a job: DWP / Scilly Works.

You may be eligible for support from Adult Social Care. They may be able to help you find somewhere to live independently.

As a student with a disability studying in Higher Education, you may be eligible for a Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA).  Details of how to apply for the DSA can be found here.

Post-16 Transport policy statement

In order to support students studying in post-16 education, the Council of the Isles of Scilly publishes an annual Post 16 Transport Policy statement that details how students can access funds to support their further education.