The Council of the Isles of Scilly Member Code of Conduct and accompanying guidance can be found by visiting the STANDING ORDERS ANNEX list.
You can learn more about Standards by clicking here and reading the House of Commons Library Briefing Paper No 05707, from 7 March 2019.
2021 Independent Person recruitment
Appointment of 2nd Independent Person
If you are interested in playing an important role in promoting and maintaining high standards of ethical conduct on the islands, you are invited to apply for the position of Independent Person. Training will be given, and an allowance is payable.
The Scrutiny Committee of the Council of the Isles of Scilly oversees the ethical standards of elected and co-opted members of the Council. The Committee’s role is to promote and maintain high standards of ethical conduct by members and to deal with complaints alleging a failure by a member to comply with the requirements of the Code of Conduct of their authority.
The Independent Persons support the Scrutiny Committee by providing an independent perspective on the Council’s ethical framework as well as having an active role in the management and conduct of member complaints.
- Have a good understanding of the ethical standards required of persons holding public office;
- Demonstrate high standards of integrity;
- Demonstrate that they can remain independent in their thinking and decision making;
- Be able to make judgements based on evidence or information presented;
- Have questioning skills and be assertive;
- Be able to act with tact and discretion and maintain the confidentiality of confidential and sensitive information; and
- Demonstrate a commitment to equal opportunities.
To be eligible to apply you MUST NOT:
- Have been a member or officer at the Council within the last five years.
- Be a relative or close friend of a member or officer of the Council.
In addition, the Council WILL NOT consider a candidate who:
- Has a public profile in party politics including a role on the management or selection committee(s) of a registered political party or who has been a candidate or canvasser for a registered political party at local or national election; or
- Has been convicted of a criminal offence (excluding minor traffic offences) in the last five years; or
- Has an existing relationship with the Council that could cause a potential conflict of interest e.g. a contractual relationship with the Council as a supplier etc.
To request an Independent Person application pack, e-mail email@example.com or download the relevant forms here:
- Independent Person - Application Form
- Independent Person - Information Sheet
- Independent Person - Specification
- Standards Complaint - Timeline
Please return ompleted forms to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want to speak to someone about the role, please call Bob Dawson, Officer: Policy & Scrutiny on 07796 466787 in the first instance.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 5 pm on Friday 9 April 2021.
Interviews for short-listed candidates will held on Thursday 15 April 2021 between 3 and 5 pm. The Council intends to appoint the successful candidate at the Full Council meeting to be held on 29 April 2021.
Stephen P Taylor
Deputy Monitoring Officer
25 March 2021