Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence

Domestic and sexual, abuse and violence is not acceptable. If you or someone you know is a victim, report it and get help.

If you are in danger in your home, please leave and seek help. Call 999 in an emergency.

If you need urgent police help through the 999 service but cannot speak

Call 999, you will be connected to a phone operator who will ask which service you need.

On a mobile:

  • if you can’t speak but the operator hears something suspicious, they’ll connect you to a police call handler
  • if you can make some noise, whispering for example, the operator will connect you to the police
  • if you can’t speak, and the operator can ’t tell what service you need, they’ll transfer you to the Silent Solution system. This runs a 20 second automated message, and that will ask you to press 55, to be put through to the police

On a landline phone:

  • if you cannot speak and the operator can hear only background noise, they’ll connect your call to the police


Local support on Scilly 

If there is no immediate danger you can call 101 and ask the local police officer to contact you, alternatively you can also disclose domestic abuse and sexual violence to many other agencies locally such as the your GP, midwife, health visitor, teacher, social workers (adults or Children’s), housing department and pharmacy staff to name a few. Any disclosure will remain confidential however, there are times where it is necessary for us to share a disclosure with other professionals in order to adequately safeguard the victims. You will always be notified of this.

Council services contact numbers:

Adult Social Care: 01720 424 470

Children’s Social Care: 01720 424 483

Housing: 01720 424 440

if your query is urgent but out of hours then you can ask the duty worker to call you back by calling Park House on: 01720 422 699


Council tenants

If you’re a council tenant, we can:

  • repair damage caused by domestic violence
  • give advice and help with the security of your home, such as changing the locks
  • give housing, benefits and money advice
  • give details of support organisations and help you contact them


Contact the Housing Service:


Housing benefit

If you move to temporary housing because of domestic violence, you might be able to claim housing benefit for both properties. Please contact the housing office who will be able to advise on this.


What is abuse

Abuse and violence can be psychological, physical, financial or emotional. It can include:

  • domestic abuse
  • domestic violence
  • Financial control, for example, not having access to your own money, having to ask for money or having your money taken away from you.
  • control, for example, not being allowed to go where you want, when you want
  • coercion, for example, being forced to do things you don’t want to do
  • female genital mutilation (FGM)
  • forced marriage
  • sex work or prostitution
  • sexual violence
  • sexual harassment

Domestic abuse can happen to anyone regardless of gender, age, race, background, disability, sexuality or type of relationship.


Report it

Violence or abuse is a crime and should be reported to the police.

You must:

  • call 999 if a crime is happening now or you’re in immediate danger
  • call 101 in a non-emergency


Getting support

There are many organisations available to you who can offer support and advice, with tailored services for you depending on the type of violence or abuse.


Safer Futures – Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Domestic Abuse & Sexual Violence Recovery Service

Single point of access for domestic abuse support and recovery programmes in Cornwall and Isles of Scilly.

Helpline: 0300 777 4 777

Non-secure Email:
Secure Email:

National Domestic Violence Helpline helps those experiencing domestic abuse. 

You’ll be able to talk confidentially to someone about your situation and find out what your options are.

Call 0808 2000 247. The phone line is open 24 hours day and 7 days a week.


Support for women

Women’s Aid

Women’s Aid is a grassroots federation working together to provide life-saving services in England and build a future where domestic abuse is not tolerated.

Call 01736 367539 or email

The Woman’s Centre

Call 01208 79992 to report domestic abuse or 01208 77099 for rape and sexual abuse services


Support for men and boys

Victim support is offered to all men and boys who have experienced domestic or sexual abuse. This includes anyone who identifies as male, who is heterosexual, gay, bisexual or transgender or who is fleeing ‘honour’ based violence and forced marriage.

You can access support from:

They can give you advice and/or find you a place in a safe house if it’s needed.

Male Support at the SUsie Programme provides a trauma informed, psycho-educational support programme for adult, men, and women, who have left their abusive relationships. 


Support for children and young people

If you or someone else in your family is being hurt at home, you can tell a teacher, a social worker, a neighbour, a friend, a friend's parent or the police. Domestic abuse isn’t your fault.

You can call Childline on 0800 1111 for free. They won't tell anyone else you’re calling unless you’re in immediate danger. They can tell you where you can get help.

The Hide Out website also helps children and young people experiencing domestic abuse and violence. 


If you’re in a same-sex relationship

If you’re in a same-sex relationship, you can also contact Gallop, the national LGBT Domestic Violence Helpline.

Call: 0800 999 5428 or email


If you're a victim of honour-based violence or forced marriage

Honour based violence is domestic abuse usually committed by men towards women. Women are punished for bringing ‘shame’ on the family by not following rules that have been set, usually by the men of the family.


Honour based violence may be committed because a woman:

  • has a boyfriend or a same-sex partner
  • has rejected a forced marriage
  • is pregnant outside of marriage
  • has a relationship with someone from another faith
  • asks for a divorce
  • dresses in a way her partner or husband considers inappropriate

There are organisations that can help you if you’re experiencing honour-based violence:


Support for victims of sexual abuse and violence

Devon, Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARC) a service provided by North Devon Healthcare Trust

Single point of contact for SARC and ISVA services in Devon and Cornwall.

SARC helpline: 0300 3034626


Emotional telephone support

If you want someone to listen and give you emotional support, call the Samaritans on 116 123 free from any phone.