Kerbside Collections: St Mary's

The Council collects both residual 'black bag' waste and dry mixed 'co-mingled' recycling from householders on a weekly basis on St Mary's. The Council operates different services on the off-islands. Please check our off island page or contact your local off island waste contract manager directly.

All material that is collected in blue or black bags in sent to the mainland for further processing/final disposal and so we all need to ensure we get it right before we send it.

  • All material needs to be placed at the kerbside (boundary of your property as close to the public highway as possible) by 8.30am on the day of your collection.
  • All material needs to be clean & dry and free from contaminants, such as food.
  • All material needs to be flattened and squashed to maximise room in your sacks.

For more information please click on the Kerbside Recycling Guidance for Householders at the side of this page.

What to include in my blue recycling sacks?


All items must be clean & dry and free from contaminants such as food, and glitter.

  • paper
  • card
  • plastic bottles
  • plastic pots, tubs & trays
  • household metals (aerosols, tin foil, tin cans).


  • Glass bottles & jars ( we recycle these locally and so need to be taken to a bottle bank)
  • Paper of card with glue, glitter, embelshments or ribbons
  • Tetra pak 
  • Water filters 
  • coffee pods
  • pet food pouches
  • baby food pouches
  • plastic film & wrapping

What is my household allocation of recycling sacks?

The Council issues two rolls of 25 sacks to each household per year. We deliver these approximately every 6 months.

This roughly equates to an allocation of 1 sack per property, per week.

If you run out of sacks before your next allocation is due you will need to fill out a Householder Recycling Sack Request Form

If in doubt you can check national recycling guidance at

What do I include in my residual 'black bag' waste sacks?

Please put all non-recycable items in your black bag waste i.e food waste (unless you compost at home), soiled products, nappies, sanitary, plastic films and wrapping.

Your black bags should not contain any bulky, hazardous or electrical waste - these need to be disposed of safely at your local waste & recycling site.

Where do I take glass bottles and jars?

Glass bottles and jars are recycled locally. These can be taken to the local community bottle banks located at bring sites at Telegraph, Rear of Town Hall, Rechabite Slip and Old Town (Nowhere Car Park) or to your local waste & recycling facility.

Where do I take other material I need to dispose of?

All other material e.g electrical items, scrap metal items, large rigid plastic items, household & garden chemicals, garden waste need to be brought to your local waste & recycling site for safe disposal / further recycling.

Containing Your Waste Well 

It is really important that we all make every effort to contain our waste & recycling properly. Strewn waste poses a significant health issue for our wildlife, our environment and our community. It also places an unnecessary burden on the waste & recycling collection team.

To help us please follow the guidance below (you can now buy seagull proof sacks directly from the Council).

Reporting a Missed Collection

All material needs to be placed at the boundary of your property, as close to the kerbside as possible, by 8.30a.m on the day of your collection. 

If your waste and recycling has not been collected by 4.30p.m on your collection day please email or call 01720 424450 (voicemail only).