Cooling Towers

If you control non-domestic premises you must ensure that you notify the local authority of any cooling tower or evaporative condenser (notifiable devices) on the premises.

You must notify the local authority of any changes to the notification information within one month of the change. Notification must be in writing (including by electronic means) on a form approved by the Health & Safety Executive.

Ventilation and air conditioning systems which are poorly installed or maintained may present a risk to health. The Local Authority can provide some general advice on how to minimise the risk of problems developing but it is for the installer and owner of the premises to ensure that the system remains problem free. 

Please note that as most of these premises fall to the Health and Safety Executive to inspect, routine sampling and testing is not undertaken. 

The Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992 place an obligation on occupiers of businesses to notify such plant and equipment to the Council. Application form above right: return to 

Council of the Isles of Scilly - List of registered Cooling Towers (as at March 2018):

  • Western Power Distribution, Power Station, St Mary's, Hugh Town. - Three cooling towers


Eligibility Criteria

No provision in legislation

Application Evaluation Process

No provision in legislation

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes, tacit consent applies here on the Isles of Scilly. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period of 28 calendar days

Notify us of any cooling towers or evaporative condensers on your premises: Tell us about a change to any existing cooling towers or evaporative condensers on your premises 

Failed Application Redress

Please contact the Local Authority in the first instance

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact the Local Authority in the first instance

Consumer Complaint

Not applicable

Other Redress

Not applicable.

Public Register

Available to view by appointment at the Council offices, please contact the environmental health department to arrange a viewing. Contact can be made via email:  

Trade Associations