Subject Access Requests

Under the General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018, you have the right:

  • to access information that we hold about you or have it rectified if it is incorrect or incomplete
  • to have your information erased where we do not have a legal requirement to retain it
  • to restrict how we process your information.

If you would like to exercise these rights, please submit a subject access request form with the appropriate documentation to the Information Governance team:

Information Governance team
Council of the Isles of Scilly
Town Hall
St Mary’s
Isles of Scilly
TR21 0JT

Once the necessary documentation has been received, the Council will respond to a subject access request within one month.

A subject access request will usually only be valid if submitted by the person who is the subject of the data and then only when their identity has been verified. Requests regarding a person other than yourself will usually be rejected except in the following circumstances:

  • someone with parental responsibility may submit a request about a child under 13 but there is no automatic right to the data
  • a solicitor may submit a request on behalf of a client with their client's written consent
  • requests from other individuals acting with the explicit written consent of the data subject or a registered Lasting Power of Attorney or who have been made a Deputy by the Court of Protection.

In accordance with article 12 of the General Data Protection Regulation, we will refuse a subject access request which is considered to be ‘excessive’. When determining whether a subject access request is ‘excessive’, we will have regard to the ‘appropriate limit’ of £450 which exists for Freedom of Information enquiries.

If you are dissatisfied with the information provided to you or how we have handled your request, you can ask us to review it within three months of the date your request was completed.  We will then carry out a review and provide you with a response within 20 working days.

If you are unhappy with our handling of your request or the outcome of any review, you can request an assessment of your case by the Information Commissioner’s Office.